Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I like to spin.

I've been spinning a lot the last couple of days. The roving I received in the mail got me so excited! It doesn't look like very much when it's all braided up, but there is a TON.

Here's a little photo of the recently spun stuff (taken with the webcam, sorry):



The leftmost one is that blue and pink blob I showed a few posts ago. It's 20 yards. The brown blob in the middle is some of my alpaca! I realized that I had enough to give plying a shot, so I did it tonight, and I ended up with only about 30 yards, but it was fun. I haven't washed it yet, and I'm eager to see how it will change.

On the right is the "drift" roving, and oh mama do I wish everyone could poke and squeeze it. It's only a single, but it's 75 yards of single, and it is soft and squishy and wonderful. It's also fairly evenly spun. There are a few little bumps here and there, but I almost feel like it suits the color and feel of the overall skein. It makes me think of seaweed and ocean. I love it so much. I hardly made a dent in the roving, too. I can't wait to spin up another 75 yards or so and ply it. It's gonna be a winner.

I'm kind of worried I'm not going to want to knit with it! I just want to look at it and poke it! I may have made my roommate poke it. I'm not sure she understood why she was poking the yarn, but at least she seemed somewhat interested. She said: "you made that?! Neat!" Yes, it is neat!

I love spinning. That is all.

Stay tuned for "how to make a mitten, part 2". Let's hope this edition of the series will be a little more successful. Although I think I'll end up keeping the steps where I consume caramel. Can't hurt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home