Monday, February 4, 2008

Success and Change

First comes the success:

Work on crescendo has skyrocketed. I finished the heel today during lecture, and finally get to start working on the highest point of the sock's "crescendo", the cuff. I almost can't believe this pattern is working. I didn't look at anything for any tips when doing the short row heel, and found out that despite having not worked many socks in the past, I'm still capable of doing one.

It came out a little sloppy because I was so excited.

As a result of this sloppiness, my gauge is a little bit bigger than the rest of the sock, but it still fits. The heel is a little on the baggy side, but I'm going to finish up the cuff, write up a rough draft for a pattern, and work the other sock while sticking to the pattern. Hopefully sock #2 will turn out perfectly.

Here's some pictures, because my digital camera arrived in the mail! They're all taken late at night so they aren't perfect, but they're certainly better than what my old one was capable of.







I'm looking forward to finishing this up soon! I'd love to have a pair of them on my feet.

Part 2 of today's post title (change) regards life in general. I'm not unhappy, just getting tired of the same old routine, I suppose. Today I was inspired by the most unlikely source - an article I read while bored at work about other celebrities giving Britney Spears advice.

Here's a quote from the article:

"Rapper-turned-act or Ice-T, once known for his gangsta scowl, looked to his own mom for advice for Spears.

"My mama used to say, 'You keep using the same ingredients, you're making the same cake. If you want to make a new cake, you got to change the ingredients.'""

I like the cake I've got. I like all kinds of cake. But even though I may like all kinds of cake and like my own cake, I still feel like it's time to try some new cake. So I'm changing up the ingredients a little bit. Just a smidge. Little things like rearranging my room (I have so much space now!), really putting an effort into my schoolwork for the last 5 weeks of term, and trying my best to start eating right (and sticking to it!). These changes aren't spawned from unhappiness, depression, angst, or anything like that. I just wanted to try to get outside my routine. Just a little. And see how it goes.

So far, it's going well.

Next update I'll have shiny pictures of the cable luxe sweater! I'm feeling very gung ho about that project at the moment. When making modifications for it, I keep thinking about my body and how it is shaped. I once read something another knitter had written about ensuring that the knitter creates garments for her body, and not for the woman she thinks she is. The importance of measuring and taking the time to ensure a proper fit will have much better results in the end.

We hope.

4 Comments:

Blogger cosymakes said...

nice sock!

and if i may chime in, perhaps it is the depths of winter blahs. i noticed that while i was in university mid winter was the perfect time for me to do drastic hair cut/dye jobs. those little changes made all the difference.

February 5, 2008 at 6:21 AM  
Blogger NH Knitting Mama said...

I love your socks! It's nice to see something in yellow, as so many are afraid to use it to make anything. It's my favorite color!

February 5, 2008 at 6:44 AM  
Blogger Irie said...

Love the yellow socks. So dainty! Lucky you to have big lecture classes where you can knit in peace. I tried this at LCC but the classes are small and the knitting seems distracting to people. Maybe I shouldn't sit in the front row? :)

Good for you for making changes, inspired by nothing more than the desire for positive change! The smallest things make the biggest differences.

February 6, 2008 at 8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

November 26, 2009 at 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home