Friday, November 16, 2007

...got a fat head?

I'm not sure exactly where the line between "normal" and "fat" head is drawn, but I'm going to guess that 24" is probably a fairly large noggin. Why am I wondering about hat sizes? I've been starting, ripping, and reknitting a hat for a friend of mine for the last two weeks. Either I'm unhappy with the design, or I make it too small...or I just hate it in general. But now, I've decided on the design, I've been working on it, and I realized that I messed up in my gauge measurements.

This is helpful to illustrate with an image. Here is the previous incarnation of the hat:



I measured my gauge from this k1, p1 ribbing and determined I was getting 7 stitches to the inch. I made all of my calculations and looked at a few other men's beanie patterns and decided a 21.5" circumference would be good - enough room to fit, but fit snugly.

So I started knitting.

In stockinette.

...yeah...

I am now getting 6 stitches to the inch, and it appears as though hat is headed for a circumference of 24". I haven't ripped it yet, just because I am going to ambush the recipient with a tape measure either today or tomorrow. He's a rugby player, which, for some reason, makes me think he has kind of a big head. I'm not sure why I have that thought in my brain, though. Fingers crossed - let's hope his head is somewhere in the neighborhood of 25"-26". If not...I'll rip, and redo my math, and finally get the thing done for him.

Knitting would be so much easier if I took the time to do all the things I needed to do before starting! Heheh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home