Wednesday, February 27, 2008

4 feet

4 feet is bigger than I thought it was. 4 feet is equal to 48 inches. It's 121.92 centimeters. 4 feet is also the approximate requested finished size of this baby blanket I'm knitting.



I like the blanket. I like it a lot, in fact. It's very snuggly, and properly baby soft. I'm even enjoying the mindless knitting it provides me while I'm doing something like watching TV. The only thing I don't enjoy about it is the fact that it is 4 feet. This consumes a lot of yarn. It also makes my needles heavier with every row I knit.

In the picture above, I've used two balls of yarn (out of the four that I initially purchased). The blanket is 13 inches. Just so we're on the same page, 13 inches does not equal 48 inches (this is what I want). I realized that having two balls of yarn left (AKA another 13 inches) also does not equal 48 inches. It only equals 26. Hence:



Two more balls of yarn. Pretend you don't see the blue. We can't talk about the blue for a while. Blue is a secret. Shush.

The border section of the blanket in seed stitch takes up more yarn (a few more inches worth of yarn, in fact) than the garter stitched part. Thank God. Still, each ball will only get me about 8 inches, and I also want to have enough to make an itty bitty lace border around the thing. So. According to my crude calculations, 6 balls of yarn should now be enough to complete this. I've been knitting through one 225 yard ball of yarn in two days. I have 4 balls left. This (in theory) suggests that in 8 days time, smooshy 4 foot giant blanket will be finished. One can only hope.

In the midst of the snuggly monotony that is the blanket, I've had time to think about all the other things I'm working on (and want to work on). I finally started fiddly-ass fingerless glove number two for my friend, and want to knock that out by the end of this week. I have no idea when I will knit the next crescendo sock. Frankly, I'm suffering from severe second sock syndrome and a nasty case of startitis. It was everything I could do last night to not cast on for a new footwear design I've been thinking of for several days. I keep promising myself that I won't cast on anything new until the blanket is done. That's 8 days (in theory).

I also really really really really want to make a flowy top. Also my own design. Here's the kicker: I'm dying to make it out of a laceweight mohair blend (held double)...on size 2 needles.

Someone knock some sense into me.

(And knit a few rows on this blanket, too, while you're here)

2 Comments:

Blogger Cass said...

You're crazy. ;)Size 2 needles!?

Love the pure white blanket. My favorite baby gift (lo those many years ago) was a pure white knitted blanket, which was loved and used and is now carefully stored in the attic for future generations. Bet yours will be too.

February 28, 2008 at 5:37 AM  
Blogger cosymakes said...

i don't know that i'd be good at knocking sense into you - since most knitters are crazy... but if you were closer i may be convinced to knit a few rows.

February 28, 2008 at 6:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home