Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Dear Planet:

Today I turned 21. In the United States, that means you're finally legally allowed to buy and drink alcohol. I had a really simple, but really great day. I was hit with barrage of well-wishing text messages all throughout the morning, sent a bunch of cards, and got to have an excellent dinner with some friends. I purchased my first drink in public (and yes, they checked my ID!), drank it, and ordered another one.





I had a rather large bill for such a small meal, that's for sure.

My roomie baked me a delicious cake, too!



I was sung to by my friend Max - it was the most hilarious and best birthday song ever. My brother's girlfriend got me a gift certificate to one of the local yarn shops, too! I was so excited! I can't wait to go and spend it. I might be able to make a hat I've been thinking of for a long time!

We then decided it was time for me to buy something in a store. 711 wouldn't allow me to purchase anything, despite it being my actual birthday. I'm not entirely clear on their policies, but even though it clearly said on my license that today, the 8th, is my birthday, the guy wouldn't let me buy anything.

I went to the grocery store across the street - my roommate came in to buy some cereal and milk while I picked out something - anything to buy, and the cashier wouldn't let me buy THAT because I knew my roommate, who did not have ID.

One of my friends suggested the little market near his house, and they all decided that nobody would go inside with me - I would head in, pick something out, and walk away. I just wanted to buy it - that's all. I grabbed a really huge, really cheap bottle of Mike's hard lemonade.



The guy behind the counter asked for my ID, and after verifying it, started asking me a ZILLION questions. He saw that it was my 21st birthday, and asked things like: what are you up to tonight? What did you do tonight? Where did you go to dinner? What are you doing for the rest of the night? What are you doing this weekend? I'm still not sure whether he was skeptical about my ID, if he was just being friendly, or if he was hitting on me, but whatever it was, I FINALLY walked out of a store with my own alcohol in my hands. Triumph!

So now it's late on a Tuesday night, I'm sitting in bed drinking Mike's hard lemonade just to prove that I can, and I've got quizzes and classes to get to tomorrow (not until 1, thank goodness). This Friday, I'll get to have my big birthday party - a big group of friends and I will all get dressed up and head out to dinner together. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

In knitting news (I know I haven't said much about knitting lately, sorry), I ripped out the beginnings of the mohair and restarted. Mohair is not fun to rip, let me tell you.



I much prefer mohair either knit up, or in its ball state. Much more agreeable. Pretty, too! I think it looks like a little puff of snow.



I've re-caston (I'm inventing my own terms now) for the project...on size 0 needles. I think this is probably a really really really bad idea. Size 2 was terrifying enough, but knitting an entire flowy tunic on size 0 needles? I'm going to have to rethink this one.

Also, countdown to the end of the baby blanket - I'm about 2 feet in to the thing. It is monstrous and heavy. It is, however, snuggly and cozy and baby friendly. It kind of makes me wish I got to keep it so that I could snuggle up in it and suck my thumb.

Tomorrow - I want to venture out to the knitting store where my gift card can be redeemed - I've already got a good idea of what I want to use it on. Here's a hint - Noro Sock Yarn + Fingering Weight White Yarn = Hat. Ohhhhhh yeah. Just you wait. You'll want one too. Maybe. I hope.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! :) I'm loving that really big candle on that cake.

April 9, 2008 at 8:04 AM  
Blogger Irie said...

Happy birthday!!! :)

April 9, 2008 at 8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home