Friday, December 28, 2007

Sock it to me

Now that Christmas is over, I feel like it's time to give back. To myself. And giving back to myself means knitting something for me. I had purchased a shiny yellow yarn to make Eunny Jang's Bayerische socks, but after multiple attempts, I've just decided it isn't going to happen anytime soon. They are immensely beautiful, but right now, I can't handle the billion twisted stitches each row (not to mention this yarn is a little on the splitty side in parts from having been worked so much).

So I went in search of the perfect pattern with which to adorn my precious feetsies. Lots and lots of beautiful socks presented themselves to me - cables, and lace and stripes abounded! But none seemed to be quite right. None of them really seemed to scream "Knit me, woman! I want to warm your feet until my fibers fall apart!" So, what do I do? I start thinking. And thinking hard.

No more stockinette socks. I need something with a little ACTION! A little excitement! A little spice for my sun-shiny yellow yarn. I cast on and knit up a toe. And then I got to work. Brain abubble, I actually managed to formulate a pattern that I think might actually work.

These are the beginnings of what I'm tentatively (or maybe permanently) calling my "Crescendo" socks.





These socks will be knit toe up, with an increasingly dramatic pattern moving its way up the foot and leg - shifting from something that is merely texture to an actual cable. Or so I'd like to think at this point. We'll see how it goes. The name seems to coincide perfectly with the concept I have in my head, and it also goes back to my musical background. In order to effectively perform a crescendo (this is what it means to get louder, gradually), one must start small in order to get bigger. Cross your fingers that this one works. I really think it will, and I'm excited!

Also, if you're reading this, and you like to smell good, get yourself to bath and body works. Because Nathan and I went on a gift-certificate spending spree today, and the store is having a sale for only like 4 days or something. I walked in with a $25 gift certificate. The sale was so huge that I got $77 worth of merchandise for $21. Yeah. Pick your jaw up off the floor and go get something.

And then watch as I try to design a sock. Yee-haw!

P.S. - To whoever it was that reached this site by googling "alisha round and brown super fine", I'm terribly, terribly sorry to have (probably) disappointed you. I wish you all the best in your future searches. And thank you for providing my significant other and I with a very good giggle.

3 Comments:

Blogger KnitaSaur said...

The sock is looking great. Very nice yarn . . . and aren't google searches awesome :P?

December 29, 2007 at 12:54 AM  
Blogger cosymakes said...

the texture and color combo of the socks are fabulous! can't wait to see the finished product.

December 29, 2007 at 8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are looking really good. Lovely colour and well matched with your pattern. Can't wait to se them done!

January 1, 2008 at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home