Thursday, December 13, 2007

Yes, I am a knitter

And today I finally have the evidence! I actually have been knitting up a storm. Yee haw.

First up, is a pair of socks knit for my mom:





These socks are knit in the "Brown Badlands" Colorway of that interesting Ditto yarn I picked up a few weeks ago. They're kind of more purply-red and not so barf yellow-green like the picture shows. When I took these, I was severely lacking natural light, so the colors are a bit off.

Next are the barbie endpaper mitts. This mitt has been sitting at this stage of completion for around 3 days now. It needs one more repeat of chart A (which is 10 rows) and then some ribbing and a thumb. I just can't bring myself to do it for some reason. I don't know why. But then I think of how I still have to knit ANOTHER MITT and I want to curl up into the fetal position and not do it. Ack.





I think they're coming out pretty stinkin' cute, even if they're a bit lumpy in parts. I think a nice bath when they're done will probably help...but these are a gift for a non-knitter, so somehow I doubt they'll care (or notice). We'll see how I feel later.

I realized a few days ago that the skein of ditto I bought to make my dad socks just wasn't gonna cut it. Men need more than 220 yards to cover their big feet. So I went a-hunting at the LYS here, and found a neato sock yarn called "San Diego". It's a self striping yarn, and I tried to pick out something with manly-ish colors. I think I succeeded. This sock is soooo cool. I did end up having to rip and re-knit it because my gauge is a little bit off, and the sock was just too big (I tried it on Nathan's foot - he and dad have about the same size feet). I love the striping and the colors.






I mean, even though there's purple in the sock, it still looks neat, right? Right? I'm really enjoying the knitting on this, just to watch it all come together. Fun.

And last, but CERTAINLY not least, is our dear friend hemlock. Hemlock's knitting was actually finished last Thursday, and it's just sort of been hanging out with all of the other WIP's by my bag 'o knitting. The color in this photo is finally kind of close to what the actual color of the blanket is, too:



Not the best picture, I know, but at least the color is semi-accurate. All hemlock needs is a nice bath and a good blocking to flatten it out, and it'll be beautiful. But then again...it's not like it isn't beautiful already.



Hee Hee.

12 days.
1 scarf for my brother
1 scarf/shawl/wrap for my grandma
1.5 socks for dad.
1 more glove for Nathan
1 more endpaper mitt.

I went to the local LYS here to get yarn for Dad's socks and the Nereides Wrap for my Grandma, and checked out their fiber section and got to talk with the owner for a while about learning to spin and all that jazz. Because I really want to, but it'll just have to wait until after the Christmas frenzy. She stuck me on their mailing list for knit nights and things. And then I made myself look really cool when she asked me what I was making with some of the yarn I was buying (it's a pretty blue slightly variegated nylon/acrylic yarn, something easy for my grandma to take care of), and I declared quite proudly that it would be a "sharf". Which I guess is kind of appropriate, given that it's like a shawly-scarfy thing. I'm not entirely sure she even noticed that I was making up words. I had to explain it, though, and she nodded approvingly. Go team.

I can't stay any longer. I need to bathe and knit. Because there are only 12 days left and I have lots to do. But here we at least have evidence that I am trying. Really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home