Thursday, April 24, 2008

Hat Wars Episode Two: The Lamb's Pride Strikes Back

It seems like as soon as I blog about something I'm working on, I immediately feel the need to throw it in a corner and cast on for something else I deem more exciting at the time. That's precisely what I did after I wrote about the Nordic Sweetheart hat a few days ago.

Hence the title of this post - I knit a hat (Guinan, from Kim over at Yarn Abuse) out of a skein of Lamb's Pride over about 2 and a half days. I think it needs a good blocking. Right now, I look more rastafarian than slouchy-chic when wearing it, and the latter is kind of what I was going for.



I think I'll give it a bath tonight and check out the results.

Last night I also kept myself busy by doing something I've wanted to experiment with for a long time - making a light box. It's pretty much exactly what it sounds like - a box in which you put...light. And then you take pictures and they look way better than they would if they were not in the light box. I grabbed a bunch of things that happened to be on my desk at the time I finished the project, and then took a picture with the macro setting on my digital camera (which is nothing fancy, just so you know). I am pleasantly amazed.







It's going to take a little more practice to really figure out how best to manipulate the light and the box to suit my photos, but these pictures make me happy. The box cost me absolutely zero dollars, and maybe 10-15 minutes to make. I found the instructions via google, and all that's involved is a cardboard box, some tracing paper (I used regular computer paper, which doesn't let as much light in, but it works), and some tape. That's it. You also need a light source. Here's what my ghetto setup looks like:



Isn't it funny to think that such neat-looking pictures are being taken in something that looks so run-down and funky? Three cheers for whoever came up with this design. The only downside is that my box is rather small - I have bigger boxes, but I have neither the required amount of tracing paper nor the space to store something that large (unless I shove it into my closet, but then it might crumble, and I would cry). Still, it's certainly going to help me with taking pictures because so often the only time I have to photograph things is at night - not the best lighting, let me tell you.

Now that Guinan is finished, the only things I currently have on the needles are the Sweetheart Hat and a baby blanket that is currently 4 feet by 2 feet. I just can't seem to find the motivation to work on that thing. It's soft and cuddly and warm and pretty, but...SO. HEAVY. Someone needs to threaten to smite me if I don't have it finished in two weeks or something. That might do the trick. Or how about...if I finish the blanket, I get to make myself these amazing cupcakes that I saw over at dyedinthewoolhandmade.com? Although I don't usually have much of a sweet tooth, my stomach makes inappropriate noises and I begin to swoon when I see it. I really want to track down the recipe ASAP. Who could resist? Not me. Can you?

Now, I've got some procrastination to attend to, and a baby blanket to think really hard about (better than nothing, right?).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, you made a Guinan! *is happy* I didn't block mine (laziness), I probably should to increase the slouch factor.

I am v. impressed by the $0 lightbox. I really need to get around to making one someday.

April 25, 2008 at 7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great results with your light box! I need to make one of these.

April 25, 2008 at 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home